Monday, December 3, 2007

I've got creationitis

I'm not the first person to invent a word. President Bush. Jesse Jackson. Don King. Just a few of the legendary names in the word generation business. In fact most of us have come up with a word at some time or another that served a purpose of which no other word existed that would suffice. Some of these words stick and some don't. I'm guessing it ultimately depends on how likely you are to insert them in every day conversation. My friend Tyler made up the word "adjectifluous" meaning, "the process of using too many adjectives". It's a perfectly cromulent word. Only problem is, I can't remember the last time I was chatting on my shiny new cell phone and drinking a hot pumpkin spice coffee while driving my luxurious brown Honda and needed a word like that. Over adjectivizing is not a real problem as far as I can see.

My word is far more useful. Padiculous. Something that is both pathetic and ridiculous. As in,
I spend hours making my own detailed maps on Far Cry 2. Assembling bridges, erecting fences, building temples...right down to the bushes that encircle my sniper tower. That is both pathetic and ridiculous. It's padiculous.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read the title and was a little worried we'd be venturing into creationism....personally, I am a fan of creating completely non-sensical metaphors that somehow make sense. Like, "I'm broke as a door" You get it, right?